Even though money isn’t everything, I truly believe that learning about the ways to make extra money and making extra income can change a person’s life.
Making extra money can change your life in so many ways such as:
- Help you get out of debt faster
- Help you stop living paycheck to paycheck
- Help you spend more time with friends and family
- Help you become your own boss and get out of a job you dislike
- Help you reach retirement sooner
- Help you save for things such as a vacation
- Help you sleep better at night
There are many options for you when it comes to the different ways to earn extra money. Whether you have just an hour each day to work, or if you are willing to work 50 hours a week on top of your day job, there is something for everyone!
Sounds awesome right? Here are proven and legitimate ways to make extra money in your spare time.
And who knows — you might enjoy it so much that your part-time job may become your full-time job! Ain’t nothing wrong with that!
Start a side business – 28 ways to earn extra money.
Starting a side business can be a great way to earn extra income. It also has the potential to becoming your full-time career!
Start a blog — Starting a blog is a great side business! I have heard so many people become so successful with blogging and it’s super fun! You can create your own blog here, with my easy to use tutorial. You can start your blog for as low as $3.95 per month plus you get a free domain if you sign-up through my tutorial. I also have a FREE How To Start A Blog Email Course that I recommend signing up for.
2. Wash cars — The cost to start your own mobile detailing service is pretty low, and it’s not hard to wash a car!
3. Maintain yards — You can make money by mowing lawns, killing/removing weeds, cleaning gutters, raking leaves and so on. It’s great exercise and you can make great money.
4. Walk dogs/pet sit— There are lots of people who have pets at home during the day while they work. And if you love animals, then you may want to look into this. You may either stay at the client’s house, or be going over to check in a few times a day, or the animals may be staying with you.
5. Groom pets — If you are good with animals then you might want to look into starting a side grooming business. You could start a mobile pet grooming business where you can go directly to the pets.
6. Train pets — This is yet another side business related to animals. You can help pet owners train their pets to behave better, do tricks and much more.
7. Answer surveys — Survey companies I recommend as one of the ways to make extra money include: SurveyJunkie, SurveyRewardz, Daily Rewards, Swagbucks and Inbox Dollars.They are free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and to test products. It’s best to sign up for as many as you can because that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money, plus you get free stuff!
8. Shovel snow — If you live somewhere where it snows, then you may be able to knock on doors and see if thy would like their sidewalks shovelled. If you like what your doing, then you can even invest in a plow, and market your services.
9. Aerate lawns — If you like yard work, then you can invest in an aeration machine and aerate lawns. This is a great side hustle that makes good money. You can charge $30 for front lawns and $30 for back lawns. (Depending on the size) and make $60 or more per house!
10. Pick up poop — Yes, I know this isn’t the most desirable job but it does pay well. One of the ways to make extra money is to scoop poop for others, such as homes, businesses, and so on.
11. Babysit/nanny children — This can be a fun job if you love children! And it’s a great way to make extra money. You can start charging $15 an hour but if you have any special skills or provide extra work, such as cleaning the house, teaching the child a new language, picking up and dropping up the child from activities and so on, you will most likely be able to charge more than $15 an hour.
12. Be a handy helper — People will actually pay to get things repaired for cheap around their home. If you are a handy person and like fixing things, then this is a good way to make some extra cash.
13. Clean buildings — I’ve worked for a cleaning company before and I can tell you that they make good money. If you like to clean and like getting an extra $2000+ a month, then this is a great gig for you!
14. Clean houses — Cleaning is something that most people run away from, or they use it as a way to deal with stress, like me! If you are good at cleaning, then you may be able to find clients who want their homes cleans. This could be from elderly people to busy moms.
15. Move furniture — Sometimes people don’t like calling big junk removal companies or U-hauls. If you have a truck or van, than you can get paid to move furniture for other people and make some extra money that way.
16. Open an online store — This is a great way to make extra money. Opening up an online store can lead to so many possibilities for business. Creating an online business these days is easier than ever. Just look at a website like eBay for example. People are making money on there everyday by selling products they made, old things they don’t want, or anything in between. I recommend starting with Shopify to create your online store. They are affordable and are very easy to use! There are plenty of other platforms for online sellers as well. Ever heard of Amazon for example? Today’s online world doesn’t demand that you have a brick and mortar location, you can start a business online from home!
17. House sit for people on vacation — I like this better than babysitting! Housesitting is becoming more and more popular these days and there are many websites out there for housesitting. When people are gone for a while, they will pay to have someone watching their house, feeding their pets, water the plants and so on. Most jobs will also offer you food and a place to stay in the house while you are there.
18. Taking pictures — Use your photography skills to take pictures of families, events, and so on. Not just anyone can do this though, as photography takes both skill and talent, but if you know what you’re doing, then you may be able to turn your passion into a side hustle.
19. Be a personal trainer — Get your personal trainer certification and give training lessons. This is a good way to make extra money and get lots of exercise too! The best part is you can teach how you want to. You don’t need a facility – you can organize sessions outside, or even help people online.
20. Be a parent consultant — This is a pretty new business that seems to keep growing. Parents will actually pay to talk to other parents about parenting. You will be helping stressed out parents when they need it the most. That’s pretty cool!
21. Teach a skill — Everyone has something they can teach to other people. Is there something that you consider yourself an expert at that someone else may want to pay you to teach? This could include personal training, music-related, outdoor survival skills, water sports, and much more.
22. Organize people’s closets — I have a friend who actually makes a living organizing people’s closets and homes! So yes, you could get paid to organize someone’s closet, pantry, garage and so on. There is a messy person out there right now waiting for you to organize for them!
23. Tutor on a subject — You may be able to make money by tutoring someone. You could help them learn a subject better, help them with their homework, help them learn a language, study for an exam and so on.
24. Plan and organize children’s birthday parties — Parents are spending more and more on birthday parties for kids. Party planning for a one-year-old is easier than dealing with a bridezilla in my opinion!
25. Clean windows — Both residential and commercial buildings need their windows cleaned. And many businesses out there outsource their window washing so this can be a great way to make extra money. It’s a low-cost business to get started and doesn’t take much time.
26. Detail cars— I know a few people who do this, and have been able to make some good money from it. If you like cleaning every nook and cranky of a car, then this may be a good way to make extra money.
27. Paint houses — If you are a good painter, you may be able to find people who are willing to pay you to paint the inside of their homes. I definitely saw more painters pop up in the summer, and they made around $25 or more.
28. Design residential landscapes — Do you have a green thumb? If you do, then designing landscapes may be a great way for you to make extra money. A master’s degree in landscape design isn’t required to create a backyard oasis.
Find a part-time job to make extra money.
There are so many part-time jobs out there that may be able to work along with your schedule at your full-time job as one of the ways to make extra money. You can find a job on sites such as Indeed, Monster, Kijiji Craigslist, and so on.
29. Deliver the paper — This is a good way to make extra money. You get a lot of exercise riding around your bike, or driving, and delivering flyers, and yes, you can still make good money doing this now.
30. Deliver pizza (or flowers, cookies, sandwiches..) — You can make around $1,000 or more a month delivering pizza part-time. Most pizza shops almost always need more pizza delivery people.
31. Teach classes at the gym — If you are already going to the gym and taking classes, then why not be an instructor and get paid for it? It is a good way to make some extra money, and who knows, you might even love it so much that you’ll quit your day job!
32. Work extra hours over the winter holidays — There are many companies that hire people for jobs of the winter months. Such as Target, Purolator, UPS, FedEx, and more. I used to work for a mailing company over the winter holidays and there is always so much work!
33. Bartend — If you have bartending experience, then you may be able to find a bartending job at a bar, a restaurant, a catering company, or any other food and drink establishment. You will also be able to have a flexible schedule since the usual hours for this are later at night and on the weekends.
34. Teach English — You can teach English to children in China. VIPKID is an online teaching service that connects teachers and students with a fully immersive one-on-one education. VIPKID is a great opportunity for people to work from home. To become a teacher, you need to have teaching experience and a bachelor’s degree. Course materials and lesson plans are provided by VIPKID.
35. Work at a restaurant — You could work as a host, wait tables, clean tables, work in the kitchen, and so on. My first job was a waitress and it was actually really fun!
36. Work at a hotel, hostel, motel, resort, etc. — There are many jobs in the hospital industry. There is always work there and new jobs are always created there too. This could be one of the ways to make extra money.
37. Work at a retail store — Working at retail stores has lots of benefits. You can make new friends, improve your social skills, as you will be dealing with people all day, and you most likely will get a good discount in stores when working in retail.
38. Lifeguard — You could lifeguard at a community pool, a water park, a private pool, and more.
39. Lend a hand on a farm — I have a friend who owns a farm and there is always work there. If you are a hard worker and don’t mind putting in some sweat, then getting a job on a farm may be for you.
40. Help a person with disabilities with day-to-day life – I used to do this at one point and I can say that it’s a very worthwhile job to have as you are making a meaningful impact on someone’s life. With this job, you might help a person shop for groceries, you might show them how to make meals, you might help them with their homework, help them find a job, and so on.
41. Guide tours – Do you know your way around the city very well? or is there something out there you love and that you are very knowledgeable in? Maybe you should lead a tour!
42. Work at an amusement park — This is great for summertime as people are always going to amusement parks or similar attractions with their families. A great time to apply would be in the springtime.
43. Work at the zoo — This could be a great and fun experience for you. You can have fun entertaining at the zoo and even learn some new things!
Make extra money online.
I love making money online in order to make extra money. You can work from home, be your own boss, work on your own schedule, be location independent and travel all over the world if that’s what you want.
44. Edit articles — If you are a grammar-nut, then this could be a great way to make extra money for you.
45. Be a social media manager — if you love social media and are great at managing multiple accounts at a time, then this could be a job for you. It could also turn into a fun career if you are successful.
46. Use Swagbucks for your online searches – Swagbucks allows me to occasionally earn Amazon gift cards with very little work. Swagbucks is just like using Google to do your online searches, except you get rewarded points called SB for the things you do through their website. Then, when you have enough points called SB, you can redeem them for cash, gift cards, and more.
47. Write for others – Freelance writing can be a fun way to make money online if you enjoy writing. First, you will need to find someone to hire you. This means you will most likely need experience in order to gain experience. Don’t worry, it is possible. You can start by creating your own blog and writing on there first. This way future employers can see firsthand if your writing style will work for them or not.
48. Moderate forums – Some forums will pay you to moderate their message boards. If there is a forum you often visit and like, you might want to see if they are hiring.
49. Help others start websites – If you are tech-savvy, others may be willing to pay you to help them start their website. This can be a great way to make extra money if you have the skills to do so!
50. Tech Support – If you have a landline and internet service, and don’t mind dealing with customers, then you can provide tech support on nights and weekends.
Miscellaneous easy ways to make extra money.
51. Donate plasma — If you donate blood plasma, you could almost make $500 per month — depending on the rates and how much you can donate. Know that the first time you donate plasma, the plasma is special and you can get double the money.
52. Rent your garage — Do you have a garage that is being unused? You could rent it out to someone who wants to store their vehicle, or throw down a rug and make it an apartment.
What other ways are there to make extra money? How much extra money do you make each month?