Can you believe it?! It’s already 2018! In fact, it’s almost the end of January. I have made LOTS of New Years resolutions and goals for 2018. And I can say that I am still on track for all of them.
Here’s a fun fact for you. Did you know that only 8% of people achieve their resolutions each year? And only 75% of people who set goals, follow through with them in the new year.
So that means that 25% of people stop working towards their goals just after the first week! That’s insane right?
So today, I’m going to help you find ways to stick to your 2018 goals and be insanely successful with them this year! Let’s make this year the best year and start making your goals and dreams a reality! So let’s get started!
Goal setting is really beneficial for anyone who wants to reach their resolutions. It gives people a sense of direction when working towards their goals. It’s easy to sit and daydream about how much money you want to make, or how slim you want to look, but if you don’t take radical action towards them, then nothing is going to happen for you.
People who make resolutions are 10 times more likely to reach their goals than people who don’t make resolutions.
That’s why I believe that it is so important to set goals for yourself in 2018.
Let’s make 2018 a great year! Let’s work on living our dream life, managing our money better, making more money, traveling more, and having more fires and beers!
Here are my tips and advice to help you reach your 2018 business and life goals.
How to make goals for 2018.
So let’s get back to the basics. How do you make a 2018 goal? Well first things first, we need data to work with.
Review your 2017 goals and resolutions.
I still have the piece of paper from last year that I wrote my 2017 goals on! It’s great because I can reflect back on it and see what I have accomplished and what still needs work.
Before you start thinking about your 2018 goals, you need to think about how 2017 went for you. Was it a good year? Did you accomplish a lot or was it a lazy year?
We need to determine the areas we succeeded in and the areas that need to be worked on in the new year.
This is a good starting point, as it will allow you to think about what areas you struggled with in 2017 and what you need to accomplish in 2018.
Make your 2018 goals SMART.
I’m sure you’ve heard this in school. But you need to make sure all your goals for 2018 are SMART.
What is a SMART goal? A SMART goal is:
Specific — What is your goal? Is it specific or too broad? Know exactly what your goal is, down to the “T”. Be as detailed as possible.
Measurable — How can you measure your progress? How will you know if you’re on track.
Attainable — Can your goal actually be achieved?
Realistic/relevant — Can you achieve your goal? Why is this goal important?
Time — What is your time limit to your goal?
Make sure to use the above to help you write out your goals. This way, you will be able to visualize it a lot better and that will ensure you that your goals are realistic and attainable.
Write down your 2018 goals and resolutions:
Like I said above, make sure you write out your 2018 goals. Writing down your business and personal goals is a very important step in goal setting.
It takes 21 days to create a habit and it’s easy to forget when you don’t have something written down.
This will help you remember your goals and why you want to achieve them. And if you can’t remember your 2018 goals, it would be very hard to achieve them.
Here are some ways to help you remember:
- Creating a blog to write down and detail your progress. – How To Start A Blog In 15 Minutes or Less!
- Putting sticky notes around your home or the rooms that are related to that goal, (I put a “floss today” note in my bathroom to remind me I need to do that) that list your yearly goals.
- Be productive and proactive.
- Making a vision board or having a life planner
- Adding reminders on your phone, calendar, notebook or whatever else you use for To-do lists.
Related tip: If your looking for a life planner or a 2018 goal planner, I highly recommend checking this one out. It’s the one I use and I think it’s the mother of all planners! Life planners are great — they can be a great way to stay motivated and help you get closer to your goals everyday!
Create a plan to reach your 2018 goals.
You need to create a plan on how to get to your 2018 goals. This is how you will stay motivated and not flake out with your goals.
A plan will help you focus on the steps you need to take to reach your goals. It will help you be less scattered and more in control and organized.
When you are creating your plan, you will need to write down the actionable steps to getting to your goal. If your goal is to lose 60 pounds, then you should write down a daily workout schedule and a meal plan. If you want to save money, the you should create a budget check sheet and track where your spending your money on.
Your plan should have exact details of how to reach your goals. You should also track your progress and evaluate what is working for you and what is not. The more you do this, the more it will help you become successful.
Make actionable steps to reach your goals for 2018.
We all want to reach our goals as fast as we can. But that can only be done if we break our goals into small actionable steps that we can do daily. One of my mentors told me to dream big, but start small.
You can approach your 2018 goals by breaking your big goal into smaller goals, and then adding a time limit to those smaller goals. For example, if I had a goal to lose 20 pounds this month, then I would find ways to lose 5 pounds every week. I could go on an all carb diet and exercise a lot more.
Basically, each week would bring me closer to my goal. You should do something every day that will bring you closer to your goal. Remember, great people are great by doing the things daily to make them great.
Track your progress for your 2018 goals and make changes if needed.
You need to be able to track your progress and see how far you’ve come, and how far you need to go to get to your goal. This can be fun! Doing this will help you stay motivated with your yearly goals and become successful with them. You may want to check your progress every day, week or month, depending on whatever works for you.
I usually check my progress every week because that’s when I feel like I have more “data” to compare with.
Keeping track of your 2018 goals is a good idea because it can tell you what you need to do in order to reach your goals faster, whether or not you are behind, or if you need to make a change.
This is another important topic that we need to talk about when it comes to 2018 goal setting. How do you stay motivated enough to keep working towards your goals? For me, the answer is simple. If you want it bad enough, you will do anything to make it happen. It feels like nowadays, people don’t work hard enough for their goals and dreams. Let’s make 2018 our year to make things happen. The #1 regret people have in their old age, is that they didn’t do the things they wanted to do, they didn’t follow their dreams and work hard enough towards their goals.
Let’s work hard to make sure we don’t ever have those regrets. Stay motivated, stay focus and have fun accomplishing your 2018 goals!
Update on my 2017 goals:
PASS. — Start a WordPress blog. I started a blog just last year. This was something I have been wanting to do for a while and I finally did it! I am currently working very hard to get my blog up and running.
FAIL. — Lose 50 pounds and eat healthier. If anything, I think I gained more weight and started an even more unhealthy lifestyle. I need to find more ways to stick to this goal and follow through with it.
My 2018 goals:
– Create a product to sell. I want to create a product to help my readers become better with blogging. I am not 100% sure what that product might be, but I do have some ideas.
– Grow to 100,000 subscribers. I would love to grow my email list and help even more readers, have higher traffic, build a community and so on. I really love my blog and I would love to share it with more of the world! This is something I am confident in achieving.
– Be at least 4 months ahead on Fire and A Beer posts. This is something one of my mentors do, and I think it’s a brilliant idea! I want to be at least 4 months ahead in content so I can focus on other things knowing that the majority of my writing work is already done.
– Lose 50 pounds and have a healthier diet plan. I want to lose 50 pounds and keep it off, and eat cleaner. This is a goal that I didn’t accomplish last year, but I definitely will this year!
– Have more fun with the ones I love. I feel like I have been lacking fun in the last few years and I want to change that this year! I want to spend more time with my family and travel more this year 🙂
What are your 2018 goals? Have you thought about your new years resolutions? What 2018 goal setting tips do you have to share?
If you are new to Fire and A Beer, I am all about improving your lifestyle and finding ways to save money and make money. This can help you reach your 2018 goals. Here are some of my favourite sites and products that may help you out:
- Find ways to make extra money – Here are over 50 ways to make extra money.
- Start a blog. Starting a blog was the best thing I did. It keeps growing and is helping me get to my dream life. You can create your own blog here with my easy-to-use tutorial. You can start your blog for low as $3.95 per month plus you’ll get a free domain if you sign-up through my tutorial.
- Answer surveys. Survey companies I recommend are: SurveyRewardz, Survey Junkie, Swagbucks and Daily Rewards. They are all free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and test free products. It’s best to sign-up for as many as you can, that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
- Try InboxDollars. InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend. You can earn cash by taking surveys, shopping online, playing games, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up!
Good luck with your 2018 goals!